A pub isn’t necessarily the first venue that springs to mind when you think about weddings, but country pubs in particular can make excellent backdrops for your big day. Some publicans are even licenced to hold the wedding ceremony onsite, so if you’re not planning on having a church wedding, this could offer a great alternative to a registry office service.
Here are some of the pros to having your wedding in a pub:
• The pub you choose may have sentimental value; perhaps it is where you and your bride/groom met, or where you had your first date
• Pub venues often offer vastly preferential rates compared with hotels and wedding halls
• Many country pubs offer great scenery for photographs and for guests to enjoy as they sip their champagne
• Guests will feel comfortable in a familiar setting
Here are some of the cons to having your wedding in a pub:
• There may be limited parking, and it may be a difficult venue to get to without a car
• The food might be less gastro and more ghastly – make sure you sample the pub’s wares well in advance of your wedding and before booking
• Unlike a hotel, a country pub may not offer as much overnight accommodation for guests who don’t want to leave the party
The key to having your wedding at your local is to plan well in advance. If you don’t have a specific pub in mind, make sure you get quotes from a range of establishments before making a decision.
Find out exactly what is included in the deal – is food and wine included? Can you decorate the pub/grounds however you want? Will you be able to use all of the outdoor space as well as the indoor facilities? How many guests can the venue hold? Is there any accommodation in-house or nearby?
Depending on the size of the grounds (and the inclination of the landlord), it may be possible to erect a marquee. Doing so will provide shelter from the elements and make it feel as though your wedding is really intimate and personalised. You can use the pub’s catering team and washroom facilities but still feel as though the day is focused around your own wedding party.
If you’re given the go-ahead on the marquee front and want to hold your wedding in a pub in or near Bristol or Bath, give Andrews Marquees a call on 01275 545199 today for more information and a quote. If you are a pub owner or manager, please see our pub marquee page here.